Search The Blog

Friday, August 23, 2013

Simplicity 04

August 22, 2013
I still have a desire to read the Word, but my prayer life is still suffering. Just read a section of When I Don't Desire God by John Piper.

How is it that I walk into a theater super excited, but don't see the beauty in a sunrise anymore? Every now and then, I ought to take a look at a flower or a tree or at the sky as I did yesterday and just be amazed that it is. I used to think that children are amused by simple things. You hear them react to sensations like tickling or ridiculous faces. But as we get older, WE become more entertained by simple things like television and iPhones. Children have an innocence that purely enjoys glorious things. O that I would have eyes like a child to grasp the worth of God's creation!

I also need to start FORGETTING ABOUT MYSELF! It's a great hindrance to joy, always wondering what people think of me (Ecclesiastes 7:21). The world does not revolve around you, and few people you pass on the street are extremely concerned with what you are doing.

INTROSPECTION: The freedom of self-forgetfulness, as Timothy Keller calls it, liberates us from what can potentially be the awkward sin of self-awareness.

~The Fragile Grey Heart

Ecclesiastes 7:21: "Do not take to heart all the things that people say, lest you hear your servant cursing you."

Psalm 104:24, 25: "O Lord, how manifold are Your works! In wisdom have You made them all; the earth is full of Your creatures. Here is the sea, great and wide, which teems with creatures innumerable, living things both small and great."

No comments:

Post a Comment